.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

3.13.2007

On and off my bookshelf

I have to update those reading lists on the side. In the past few weeks, I've finished five books, three of which I read so quickly that they never made it onto the list of books currently being read at all. I started these between December and a few days ago, so don't go thinking that I read the entirety of each of these books in the past few weeks.
The other books that are on my "currently reading" list (see right sidebar) will probably be there for awhile, as I work through them slowly or not at all. Like the vegetable book. It really was interesting for the first few pages, but I think it might be more happily used as a reference or cook book. And both books on women and Judaism. There's only so much of those books that I can take at a time.

Next up? Maybe The Bastard on the Couch: 27 Men Try Really Hard to Explain Their Feelings About Love, Loss, Fatherhood, and Freedom, edited by Daniel Jones. Lest you find that title offensive (and you may be right to find it so), there is also a book called The Bitch in the House: 26 Women Tell the Truth About Sex, Solitude, Work, Motherhood, and Marriage, edited by Cathi Hanauer, who also wrote the foreword to The Bastard on the Couch. I think they were published as a pair. (Update: Bitch in the House was compiled by Cathi Hanauer first, and Bastard on the Couch was put together by her husband.) I'm less interested in Bitch, though, since I already know what women think. Or at least what one woman thinks. Also, I'm sort of tired of reading about motherhood in the media. What about fatherhood?

---------------------------------------
1. I think they were something like these, but not this exact series. I remember reading about George Washington Carver and Betsy Ross, and they aren't included in this particular series. Oh, and I think Abraham Lincoln, too. My mother once told me that I didn't learn anything in school in 2nd grade, but it was okay because I read a ton of books that year. I'm sure some large percentage of the random stuff that I know today, I learned from reading those easy reader biographies in second grade and from watching 3-2-1 Contact.

Labels:


Comments:
One thought: You might have a touch of spring fever. I always have more nervous energy this time of year, which is why it's a good time for "spring cleaning."

As for connecting with your knight in shining armor, I think YOU have to find him, maybe with the help of a professional matchmaker, as well as friends and relatives. I really believe that everyone has a match out there--The trick is to find him/her!
 
Funny, I just saw two of the exact same books recommended on a different blog!
 
Irina,

Thanks for your comment! Which two books?
 
Freaconomics, and the one about the Catholic returning to Judaism.
 
I have read these two:

Freakanomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything, by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

The Kid: What Happened After My Boyfriend and I Decided to Go Get Pregnant, by Dan Savage

And second the reccomendations. They are both easy reading and thought provoking.
 
Hi A,

If you liked the Catholic book, you would probably very much like Lovesong, by Julius Lester. You may have already read it. It's about an African American minister's son from the deep south who returns to Judaism/converts.
 
Hi Liz,

Yes, I read Lovesong and loved it. I think I read it in high school, although maybe it was college. Let me know if you think of any other books I might enjoy! (Although the list on the right sidebar is growing much faster than I can whittle it down, given the amount of time I have for reading.)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?