.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

5.02.2006

19

BZ, who has been posting clever posts for each day of the omer so far, has a somber one for today, Yom HaZikaron (Israeli memorial day for soldiers), the 19th day of the omer. It is so hard for me to think of 19 year olds dying... Yehi zichram baruch, indeed. May their memories be for a blessing.

Someone quoted this in a comment on Chayyei Sarah's blog and I thought it was beautiful enough to repost here.
"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."
--Laurence Binyon, ""For the Fallen," September 1914
I find World War I elegies for fallen soldiers to be particularly beautiful and strikingly sad. (I first discovered them when I took a class on the history of World War I in college.)

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?