.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

5.07.2008

How to safely clean up broken, mercury-containing CFLs

I saw this on a comment from Laura K. on Linda of "Indigo Girl" fame's blog, and thought it was worthwhile enough to share:

I just saw a newscast about the CFLs on the news here the other week. They were saying how miniscule the amount of mercury is in it compared to the amount in the old-fashioned thermometers. I can't remember what they said, but it was a low, low amt.

They suggested (you've already cleaned up, obviously) using gloves and tape to pick up all the pieces that you can, and then a damp cloth, and then cleaning the area. They said it is NOT a good idea to vacuum it up because that disperses the particles into the air (I assume sweeping might, to some extent). So there you go, some info. for next time. I think I need to write that somewhere in my house so a well-meaning mother or mother-in-law doesn't incorrectly clean up a broken light bulb.

Hey, I think I went typo-free this time! Must be because I'm still at my school desk. :)

CFL = compact fluorescent light (for those of you who've been living under a rock as the world slowly melts into oblivion)

Labels: ,


Comments:
The State of Maine has done a lot of work on CFL cleanup techniques. Their full report, updated in February 2008, is here:

http://www.state.me.us/dep/rwm/homeowner/cflreport.htm

I particularly like their suggestion about putting down a drop cloth when changing CFL bulbs to make potential containment and clean up easier.
 
taking notes here, as an incorrigible breaker of all things glass...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?