.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

6.19.2006

Word of the Day: Nostomania

nostomania: An overwhelming desire to return home or to go back to familiar places.

I love that the Greek word "nostos" means "a return home." (Like "nostalgia." Are there other English words with this root?) I wonder what it says about a culture or a civilization that they can say that with one word. Does it mean that they cherish home more or that they leave home more? Does it mean that they return home less or more? Perhaps "home" is more clearly identifiable as a single location for them than it currently is for me, since my parents no longer live in the town where I grew up and I don't feel settled enough in life to call my lovely apartment "home" in that sense of the word.

Of a Revolution (thanks to Josh for introducing me to them) has a song that I absolutely adore called "I Feel Home." It's about returning home, what home is, and where home is located when the people who used to be there are no longer.

You should click on the link above to read all of the lyrics, but favorite lines of mine from that song include:
How true! I especially love the ending.

I haven't written much on this blog about music, but maybe I will someday.

Labels:


Comments:
Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
When I come home cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire
 
For the record, OAR freely admit that they play around with the lyrics during live performances.

Definately a great song and one of my favs (esp after moving back to NY).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?