.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

2.21.2006

Larry Summers to resign from Harvard University

Derek Bok, who was the president of Harvard from 1971-1991, is going to serve as interim president. This sounds terrible, but I don't think I knew that he was still alive. He's only 76; I'm not sure why I thought he was so old.

I don't have time to read all of the coverage of this, but I thought that some of you might be interested. And maybe if I have time, I'll go back and read this stuff. I definitely have opinions on the matter. Meanwhile, for your edification:
Compare and contrast:
As I said, I haven't had time to read either article, but my experience has been that the Boston Globe tends to be virulently anti-Harvard. This is not surprising, although I do find it amusing. (The fact that I find it amusing is probably part of why they're virulently anti-Harvard. Oh, well.)

The Boston Globe reports that students back Summers. I am not surprised. He was much, much more student-friendly than his predecessor, Neil Rudenstine, who was, I think, primarily a fundraiser for the university.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?