.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

2.06.2006

Brush with fame (but not fortune)

Today is one of those days that I am working until 8:45 pm. When I was walking to work down Broadway at noon (having had a tremendously productive morning of cleaning up my room a teeny tiny bit, dropping off dry cleaning, and buying a set of deeply discounted meat dishes at Fishes Eddy), I was accosted by Tim Fleisher and his cameraman. Before he opened his mouth and before I noticed the guy trailing him with a camera, I was all ready to say, "No thanks" and hurry on, figuring that he was a clean-cut guy trying to get me to go to church, as someone else did on Broadway last week. But he said, "Hi, I'm Tim Fleisher from Eyewitness News and we're doing a story on Time Warner Cable." So instead of saying, "No thanks," I said, "Sorry, I don't have cable." He said, "At all?!" I said, "I have Time Warner cable-modem service, but I actually don't own a TV."* He stopped for a moment, gave me a tremendous white news anchor smile, and said, "Well, that's perfectly fine!" It was kind of funny.

The funniest part about it is that he looks exactly like you'd expect a TV anchor type to look: "all American" (i.e., pasty white with blue eyes), shiny perfectly straight white teeth, and a full head of silvery grey hair. Also, he was tall, broad, and charismatic.

Alas, I did not get interviewed for Eyewitness News. I think I shall survive.


* Not 100% true. I own a 5" black and white Radio Shack television that I bought to watch Red Sox playoff games. You can get some of the basic channels on it if you recline away from it and hold the antenna with your toe. (I think the human body must conduct television signals pretty well and act like an extended antenna. That's the only reason I can think of that holding it with my toe while reclining would make a difference. Leaning forward and holding it with my hand doesn't work nearly as well.) It currently resides inside a beat up old suitcase on the top shelf of my closet. Getting it down from there would involve risking life and limb at this point.

Labels:


Comments:
IIf you spend a few dollars for a cable splitter, you can get basic cable channels for free as long as you subscribe to cable modem service. It would require a real TV though, not the handheld kind. Then you wouldn't have to rely on your toes for reception.
 
The 5" TV that I own actually does have a cable input thing. But if I hooked it up, then I would actually watch a lot of television, which would cut down on my blogging considerably. And you wouldn't want that, would you?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?