.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

9.02.2005

A Lament for New Orleans

Chayyei Sarah once again hits the nail on the head. And I quote, in its entirety:

A Lament for New Orleans*

Oh, how she sits in solitude.
The city that teemed with people has become like a widow.
She that was great among the nations, the princess among provinces, has become a tributary.
She weeps bitterly in the night, and her tear is on her cheek . . .

*with thanks to the prophet Jeremiah, who put it better than I ever could.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before this happened, I don't think I could have comprehended what the destruction of an entire city meant. I can't believe that everything can be taken away from so many people, so quickly. (Of course, this is the voice of privilege, from my perch in middle class America. In many places in the world, everything is taken away quickly.) And, like Moxie, I don't understand why people are still without food and water. Why did it take four days for National Guard trucks to arrive with supplies? I am aghast. And sad.

Shabbat shalom...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?