.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

9.20.2005

Is Church More Fun than Shul?

This article from the Atlanta Jewish Life Magazine tries to answer that.

I thought it was an interesting article. I especially liked this bit:
My interactions with God, while I often see them as formulaic, always have underlying themes of hope and redemption. The desire for true repentance, an integral part of our religion, motivates my prayers. It’s a personal experience.

And, truth be told, it’s not the house of worship but the worship itself that brings people closer to God. No matter how mesmerizing a minister (or dull in this case), his minions move towards a more religious life because of their own faith, their own inner dialogue with God, in whatever shape that takes.

I went to church once, mostly because I was curious and it was so convenient. I kind of liked it, although possibly only because it was different than shul. I really liked the singing. It was excellent. I also enjoyed the decorum of the congregation, and the church itself was very pretty and light inside. And I liked reading the plaques on the wall, especially the one that was related to the thesis that I was writing at the time.

Anyway, the article is interesting on several levels, although I thought it was a bit too long. Thanks to Esther for pointing it out.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?