.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

7.14.2006

War

I don't feel like I can let the beginning of a war in Israel go unmentioned, for fear that someone will misinterpret the lack of posting on the subject.

On the other hand, I don't know what to say except that Hezbollah's unprovoked attack of katyusha rockets on Israeli cities including Haifa, Nahariya, and Carmiel is horrific, and that it would be crazy to expect Israel not to react with force. I'm no hawk on Israeli politics, but it beats me how anyone could think that Israel should react to kidnappings, murdering soldiers, and rockets launched against it with diplomacy. What nation in the world would react to violent, unprovoked attacks on its land and people from another country with diplomacy?

Having said that, I hope that all of this ends soon, with as few deaths on each side as possible. Israel has no choice but to respond and to try to keep Hezbollah back off of its borders, but war is never a good thing in my book. Sometimes necessary, as when someone clearly wants to kill you and your people, but never good.

Wishing you, all of Israel, and the entire world a Shabbat shalom.

Here is the prayer for the soldiers of the State of Israel, should you be so inclined as to pray (thanks to NotANewYorker):



I probably won't blog more about the war unless I have something substantial to say. But that doesn't mean that I'm not thinking about it, about Israel, and particularly about my relatives in Haifa and Carmiel.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?