.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

3.15.2006

Purim Time Down South*

I went down south for Purim, where I had a wonderful time with family and friends. I was very happy to ditch my winter coat and prance around in sandals and short sleeves. Even though it was warm out, though, it didn't really compare to my previous Purim, during which I took a short walk on the beach in Ipanema on the way back from megillah reading, which was at a Bnei Akiva minyan that met here. Everyone should spend one Purim of their lives in Rio de Janeiro. They really know how to party down there.

I have nothing more exciting, inflammatory, or scandalous to report at this time.

Happy Shushan Purim (and beware the Ides of March)!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* With apologies to Leon and Otis Rene, as well as song popularizer Louis Armstrong. Also apologies to anyone who finds the original song blatantly racist and offensive. Online versions of the lyrics alternated between "mammy," "mama," and "mother," but the original lyrics most definitely seem to say "mammy."

Labels:


Comments:
I have nothing more exciting, inflammatory, or scandalous to report at this time.

really? Disappointing... ;)
 
I think "Sleepy Time Down South" was one of Louis's most popular tunes. I imagine he closed thousands of concerts with that song... don't remember him calling anyone mammy in it, though.
 
Ruby K,

The original lyrics really seemed to have contained the word "mammy." Louis Armstrong may very well have changed the lyrics to mama or one of the other inoffensive variations.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?